The document must have the following:
- First party and their mailing address (KRS 382.135(1), KRS 382.200)
- Second party and mailing address (KRS 382.135(1) KRS 382.200)
- Description (unit number, condo name, etc.) (KRS 381.840)
- State that the property is “a condominium unit” (KRS 381.840)
- Source of title must include the Book & Page reference to the master deed and cabinet and slide to the floor plan (KRS 381.840, KRS 381.835)
- Preparation Statement (KRS 382.335)
- Consideration certificate (KRS 382.135)
- In-Care-of Address for the property tax bill in the year transferred (deeds signed after July 31, 2008)(KRS 382.135 (c))
The clerk shall request a return mail address (KRS 382.240)
The grantors must sign the deed and the signatures must be acknowledged (notarized). The grantor and grantee must sign the consideration statement the signatures must be notarized. (KRS 382.135 & KRS 382.130). The document must be filed in the county clerk’s office of the county where the property is located (or the greater part). KRS 382.110.
See the section on Consideration Certificate for additional information.
Indexing information: The document is filed in the deed book or condominium deed book, if one is maintained. (OAG 62-517, the horizontal property act does not require the establishment of a separate deed book, although clerks may do so, if circumstances make it desirable.) The document is indexed in the general index to deeds and mortgages, unless a separate index for condominiums is used, under both parties’ names. The first party is the seller (grantor), the second party is the buyer (grantee).
Transfer tax is collected on the consideration in the deed per KRS 142.050. The tax is computed at the rate of $.50 for each $500 of value or fraction thereof. The transfer tax applies to the value listed in the deed and is imposed upon the grantor. KRS 142.050(7) lists the types of deeds that are exempt from this tax.
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Email: [email protected]
Cedar Knoll Mall
Phone: (606) 929-9595
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547