First Time Titling and Registration of Out of State Vehicles
KRS 186.020 requires a person who purchases a vehicle or brings a vehicle into Kentucky from another state to make application for title within fifteen (15) days. If the owner of a motor vehicle does not reside in Kentucky, the motor vehicle shall be registered with the County Clerk of the county in which the motor vehicle is principally operated.
The following documents and information are required:
- Certificate of Title – photocopies are not acceptable. Transfer of ownership requires a properly assigned certificate of title.
- Proof of sales tax paid in another state – must identify type of tax paid, dollar amount, serial number of vehicle and name of the taxpayer (Cancelled checks are not acceptable). Each of the following is acceptable as proof:
- Tax shown on certificate of title/registration
- Receipt or letter from taxing agency
- Application for title/registration (TC96-182).
- Certified inspection of vehicle identification number (VIN) with the exception of leased vehicles operating on U-Drive-It Permits.***
- Title Lien Statement (TC96-187E), if applicable.
- Current proof of Kentucky insurance.
- Owner/Buyer personal ID.
- Social Security number, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for each party appearing on the title, or federal ID tax number for companies.
- Federally conforming odometer disclosure statement.
- The Total Consideration and Trade-In Information section on the Application for title/registration (TC96-182) if purchasing a vehicle titled in another state. The seller must complete the bottom left section of the application and have their signature notarized.
- Buyer Beware!
Title and Serial Number Check
Before purchasing a vehicle, make certain that the seller can give you a valid title. Also check the title with the vehicle identification number (usually found on the driver’s side above the instrument panel) to verify that they match. If they do not, do not complete the transaction until the discrepancy has been corrected.
FEES AND TAXES
Usage Tax – a six percent (6%) motor vehicle usage tax is levied upon the “retail price” of vehicles registered for the first time in Kentucky and upon registration resulting when the vehicle is subsequently transferred. In the case of used vehicles “retail price” is either 100% of the total consideration (taxable value cannot be less than 50% of the “Trade in” NADA value) or the appropriate value listed in the prescribed price reference manual.
- $ 6.00 – Kentucky Title Fee
- $29.00 – Kentucky Speed Title Fee****
- $22.00 – Record Lien
- $ 2.00 – Preparation of Title Lien Statement
- $ 3.00 – to $6.00 – Preparation of Title Application
- $-5.00 – Certified Vehicle Identification Number Inspection**
- $21.00 – Registration fees will be calculated from date of licensing through owner’s birth month. Maximum Registration fee for twelve months is $21.00
- $ 2.00 – Temporary Tag
- ~~~~~ –Usage tax, determined by information given on the Affidavit of Total Consideration or the appropriate value listed in the prescribed reference manual.*
*Penalty provisions for any person who willfully and fraudulently gives a false statement as to the total and actual consideration paid for a motor vehicle shall be guilty of a Class D felony and shall be fined not less than $2,000 per offense.
*** Vehicle inspections are done at the County Clerk’s office. Parking is provided on the second level of the adjacent parking structure in the spaces marked “Reserved for Vehicle Inspection.” Inspection is to verify the vehicle identification number, it is not a safety inspection.
**** Printed the day of application.
Acceptable Methods of Payment:
Cash, Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, Money Order. (Visa and MasterCard are not accepted for title or transfer transactions)
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
P.O. Box 523
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 739-5116
Fax: (606) 739-6357
Phone: (606) 929-9595
Fax: (606) 929-9696
10:30am - 6:00pm (M-F)
10:30am - 2:00pm (SAT)
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547
Fax: (606) 329-2812
9:00am - 4:30pm (M-F)