Titling and Registration of a New Vehicle
KRS 186.020 requires a person who purchases a vehicle or brings a vehicle into Kentucky from another state to make application for title within fifteen (15) days. If the owner of a motor vehicle does not reside in Kentucky, the motor vehicle shall be registered with the County Clerk of the county in which the motor vehicle is principally operated.
The following documents and information are required:
- Manufacturer’s certificate of origin properly assigned to the buyer by the selling dealer.
- Application for title/registration (TC96-182).
- The Total Consideration and Trade-In Information section on the Application for title/registration.* Seller must also complete bottom left section of application and have signature notarized. If that is not available, the window sticker or the manufacturer-to-dealer invoice which shows the suggested retail base price plus options and transportation charges.
- Federally conforming odometer disclosure statement.
- Certified inspection of vehicle identification number if purchased outside Kentucky, with the exception of leased vehicles operating on U-Drive-It Permits.***
- Current Proof of Kentucky Insurance.
- Title Lien Statement (TC96-187E), if applicable.
- Owner/Buyer personal ID.
- Social Security number, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number for each party appearing on the title, or federal ID tax number for companies.
Usage Tax – A six percent (6%) motor vehicle usage tax is levied upon the “retail price” of vehicles registered for the first time in Kentucky. In the case of new vehicles, “retail price” is either 100% of the total consideration or 90% of the manufacturer’s suggested retail price (M.S.R.P.), including the M.S.R.P. of all additional equipment and transportation charges. This “retail price” WILL NOT be reduced by the value of any motor vehicles used as a trade-in.
- $ 9.00 – Kentucky Title Fee
$29.00 – Kentucky Speed Title Fee****
$22.00 – Record Lien
$ 2.00 – Preparation of Title Lien Statement
$ 3.00 – $6.00 Preparation of title application
$ 5.00 – Certified Serial Number Inspection***
$21.00 – Registration fees will be calculated from date of licensing through owner’s birth month. Maximum -registration fee for twelve months is $21.00
-~~~~~ – Usage tax, determined by information given on the Affidavit of Total Consideration or by the Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of the vehicle.*
*Penalty provisions for any person who willfully and fraudulently gives a false statement as to the total and actual consideration paid for a motor vehicle shall be guilty of a Class D felony and shall be fined not less than $2,000 per offense.
***Vehicle inspections are done at the County Clerk’s office, Courthouse, Ashland Branch, 16th St and Kyova Mall Locations. “Reserved for Vehicle Inspection” is marked at each location. Inspection is to verify the vehicle identification number, it is not a safety inspection.
****Printed the day of application.
Acceptable Methods of Payment:
Cash, Certified Check, Cashier’s Check, Money Order. (Visa and MasterCard are accepted for title or transfer transactions)
Boyd County Clerk
Boyd County Courthouse
P.O. Box 523
2800 Louisa St.
Catlettsburg, Ky. 41129
Phone: (606) 929-9595
Fax: (606) 929-9696
10:30am - 6:00pm (M-F)
10:30am - 2:00pm (SAT)
335 16th Street
Ashland, Ky. 41101
Phone: (606) 325-3547
Fax: (606) 329-2812
9:00am - 4:30pm (M-F)